Sunday 1 November 2009

The Dash Vault - personal tips

Hey guys,

Last thursday noone showed up for training as it was raining, so I decided to train by myself for a bit. I went to a wall to practice some vaults. After about half an hour of video-ing myself doing different vaults, I tried a dash vault. Now, I haven't really trained these much recently as a result of some conversations I had about the "useless-ness" of it in a realy situation.

Anyway, getting to the point. I found a way to do the dash vault much better and faster than I used to teach it. I have video of it, but I'll put it up in a few days. Basically, (as some of you know) wghen I used to teach the dash vault, I used to say spread your legs while you''re in the air, vertically, and kick out, landing one foot at a time. The problem with this usually was that you'd still land with both feet at the same time but without front-wards momentum, effectively stopping or slowing down your run.

The "new" way I found to do it (this might just be a personal discovery also), was that when you do the dash vault, you should still spread your legs, but only for a tiny bit. (maybe like a foot's distance between your feet) You should still land with your legs one at a time, but if you do it this way, it lets you concentrate on carrying your weight forwards instead of up and then down. The 'new' motion also makes you feel like a tensed spring, and when you land, you land much faster and can keep running. In my opinion, as long as the obstacle is just like a "normal" sized wall, the landings are better after the dash vault, then after a kong or even a speed vault. I will definitelyuse this one more in the future.

But once again, this might just be a mixture of personal preference, and just a move that suits my body type/weight etc.

Hope you found this little article useful, and a video will follow in a couple of days! It will be on: http://youtube.com/kellock71

Train hard,
Rustic

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."

No comments:

Post a Comment